Benefits of booking with AWOL
- The active nature of our tours gives your travels a purpose!
- Tour itineraries are customised to suit your personal requirements, taking into consideration budget and travelling needs.
- AWOL Tours is fully insured with SATIB, and is an accredited member of the South African Tourism Services Association (SATSA), guaranteeing your deposits.
- All AWOL Tours are private with guaranteed departures so that your adventures go according to your plans. No minimum numbers are required for day tour reservations. Tours can also depart with single travellers.
- As AWOL is owner-operated, we have a vested interest to ensure a safe and enjoyable travel experience for all guests. AWOL can provide a standard of service and management appropriate to your needs, (from managing school groups to academically intense post graduates).
- * The safety of our guests is a priority. As the business is located in Southern Africa, the directors have personal knowledge of any political instability, dangerous areas and are best able to advise travellers on which areas to avoid. All guides and operators are carefully selected to ensure they are qualified and have relevant experience to facilitate tours.
- Itineraries are planned according to the weather conditions, to avoid the crowds during the busy seasons and around your choice of destinations that will enhance your experience.
- Travelling with AWOL will broaden horizons, increase self-confidence, encourage greater cultural sensitivity, promote empathy for conservation and ultimately enhance prospects from an international perspective.
Benefits for Special Interest Groups
- We provide FREE familiarisation trips to those organising special interest groups. Trip organisers are welcome to visit us for assistance in planning trips at cost rates, which are fully refunded on the first group booking made by the touring institution.
- Tourism specialists and professional educators with local knowledge and extensive experience in facilitating special interest trips in southern Africa design AWOL’s academic tours. An enriching educational component is fundamental to all tour itineraries across various disciplines and levels.
- We can advise and design assessment tools with our in-house team of professionals to cater for institutions who would like to include itineraries into curricula and to award students credits whilst on tour.
- AWOL’s academic tours are designed by tourism specialists and professional educators with local knowledge and extensive experience in facilitating special interest groups in South Africa.
- An enriching educational component is fundamental to all tour itineraries across various disciplines and levels.
- AWOL’s Director is also a board member of the Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation, a non-profit organisation and registered Section 21 (not-for-gain)seeks to contribute towards eliminating poverty through undertaking research and engaging with communities to develop and advance innovative approaches to strengthening livelihoods.
- Community involvement is an integral part of AWOL’s vision and we promote participants to interact, participate and support community-based tourism initiatives with grass-roots projects while on tours through our partner agencies. One example is the Bicycling Empowerment Network (BEN), a section 21 company promoting the use of bicycles in order to address low-cost mobility, poverty alleviation and access to opportunity, employment, skills and education.
- As a previous AWOL Tours guest, if you wish to further your travels or work as a volunteer through our network of affiliated organisations, we can provide support, travel advice and assistance with accommodation arrangements.