AWOL Tours now had scheduled daily departures on our Masiphumelele Cultural Township Bicycle Tour to cater for guests making spontaneous last minute travel plans. Our relationship with the Masiphumelele community, our local guides, and our partnerships with MasiCorp and Songenzo Jim’s Cycling Academy, have seen this experience grow from strength to strength and we are now in a position to offer both private and scheduled group tours.
This tour invites you to experience the lifestyle of the majority of South Africans with a local guide who will share the vibrant multi-faceted culture of a township and some local Xhosa customs. We visit a crèche, where the teachers work under very difficult circumstances. Part of the tour proceeds go towards the betterment of their facilities. A highlight of the tour is a visit with a Sangoma (traditional healer) who performs interactive dancing and drumming. For lunch we visit a local African restaurant or Nonni local lady who hosts the tourist groups in her home and makes authentic African tea or lunch. On a Sunday this tour is a vibrant African Gospel experience.
- As we have guaranteed daily departures at 10am every day of the week that guests can book in advance or last minute. We just require that guests arrive at least 10 min prior to departure
- This experience is ideal for single guests, those on a budget or spontaneous travellers who book last-minute to join an experience with other like minded travellers.
- Guests still have the option of upgrading to do a private cycling tour which we can customise to suit your family or friends departing at any other time for an additional R200pp
- Masiphumelele is half way between Cape Town and Cape Point Nature Reserve, making it a good starting point for a Cape Peninsula adventure. If guests have a limited time in Cape Town, this experience is a half day morning tour, departing at 10:00 am and ending at approximately 13:30 pm. This can allow for an afternoon of adventures to Cape Point Nature Reserve, the Boulders beach penguin reserve, the charming boutiques and coffee shops of Kalk Bay, or even a surf at beginner-friendly Muizenberg Beach. All of these areas are within an easy drive from Masiphumelele.
- The Chasmay Campus is next door to the Township and has secure parking ( this is a self drive experience).
- 10% of every booking will be donated to the MasiCorp education programmes: these programmes make a huge difference to the youth in Masiphumelele, so your support as an AWOL guest is very much appreciated.
- Please advise the AWOL Team if children under the age of 12 years we prefer you to book a private guided tour so we can tailor the experience to suit your young ones. Advance booking is also advised so we can ensure that we have enough children’s bikes ready for the tour.
- AWOL Tours can accept a maximum of 10 guests per tour, so if you have a preferred date please book in advance to ensure that we can accommodate you.
- The tour concludes with traditional lunch with our well loved chef Nonni or a shared local BBQ restaurant experience. Please do advise the AWOL Tours team of any dietary requirements as lunch is included.
- Please advise if you need assistance from AWOL Tours team on directions prior to departure. Click here for google map link
To book your Bicycle Township experience please click here . We are looking forward to extending this experience and welcoming more guests on this vibrant, uplifting and culturally sustainable half day tour.