Bicycle Township Tour
Experience the lifestyle of the majority of South Africans on our interactive cultural Township Tours. Learn about the political past of Apartheid, how to click like a Xhosa and join the Sangoma for a traditional ceremony all whilst cycling through community on a bicycle.
“AWOL’s Community-based Bicycle Tours in Cape Town are a responsible take on township tours, providing tourists with many more opportunities to interact with the community than they would have from an air-conditioned bus. .”
AWOL Tours now offers Township tours to different communities in Cape Town. Guests are met at accommodation and transferred to the community from where we start the tour.
AWOL started operating Bicycle Township Tours in Masiphumelele in 2002 in conjunction with the BEN (Bicycling Empowerment Network) a bicycle non-profit organisation that imports second hand bikes, trains bike mechanics and assists entrepreneurs to operate bicycle shops in communities. A local guide will take us round the township visiting interesting places and explaining some local Xhosa customs. During school time, we visit a local crèche where the teachers work under very difficult circumstances. Part of the tour proceeds go towards the betterment of their facilities. A highlight of the tour is to visit a Sangoma (traditional healer) who performs interactive dancing and drumming. For lunch we visit a local African restaurant or a local lady home who hosts the tourist groups in her home makes authentic African tea or lunch. 10% of all tour proceeds go directly to Masicorp a non profit organisation.
Guests might have reservations about visiting an informal settlement and awkward at viewing people’s obvious poverty. The local residents in Townships welcome you and encourage tours to take place in their communities, as it is one way in which they have an opportunity to get involved in the Tourism sector. The tours are operated at a non profit basis and a fee goes directly to the people we visit and who make this tour possible.
The AWOL tourism project in Masiphumelele has generated significant, sustainable benefits and has proven to provide real, lasting benefits for the local people. To make an additional donation to our partner charity, Masicorp please click on the donate button below.
The AWOL Bicycle Township Tour, depart daily on scheduled tours at 10am from Chasmay Road Campus with guaranteed departure. Guests can opt to upgrade to a private tour for an additional R200 per person
** Prices valid from the 1st Oct 2018 to 31st Oct 2019:
- Half-day Township tour is from R850 per person, min one and max ten departing daily at 10am , excluding transport
- Private Half-day Township tour is R1050 per person min two excluding transfers
- Guided experience with township guide
- Sangoma (traditional healer) dancing and drumming
- Donation to Masicorp non profit
- Visit to Masivelani crèche (only available during the week)
- Gospel Church visit (on Sundays only)
- Visit crafters and local artists in community
- Lunch at Nongoloza’s or Nonni’s Restaurant or tea in an African home
- Hire of Old fashioned Dutch Bicycles
- Excludes Transport to and from accommodation which can be booked with private language guide for R2500 – R3000 per group depending on the number of guests
Please note that some attractions like the library and pre-school are CLOSED during the week-end and on school & public holidays.